101 things to be completed in 1001 days , Starting today 1 January 2008
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days. For more information, see the original site.
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).
Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
Some common goal setting tips
1. Be decisive. Know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it.
2. Stay Focussed. Any goal requires sustained focus from beginning to end. Constantly evaluate your progress.
3. Welcome Failure. Frequently, very little is learned from a venture that did not experience failure in some form. Failure presents the opportunity to learn and makes the success more worthy.
4. Write down your goals. It clarifies your thinking and reinforces your commitment.
5. Keep your goals in sight. Review them frequently, and ensure that they are always at the forefront of your thinking.
here are mine to be completed by Monday 28 September 2010 which will be 6 months or so before I retire and great time to start a new list!
1. lose 6 pounds every 4 weeks on average until I reach goal weight
2. When I reach goal weight not go more than 7 pounds over that ( to allow for holidays and Christmas)
3. swim at least 3 times each week
4. have the new shower installed in the bathroom
5. learn to wall tile
6. tile the bathroom
7. tile round the kitchen cooker
8. paint the rest of the kitchen
9. spend one hour each week on cleaning and tidying each room in the house
10. plant trees at the end of the garden
11. catalogue all my books
12. clear out the big shed and freecycle most of the contents
13. get a new door on the small shed
14. go and visit dave and sue – twice
15. scan all family documents on to computer
16. see Pat and Allan at least every 2 weeks
17. see Ben and Lizzie at least every month
18. make myself a dress
19. knit myself a jumper
20. have a facial
21. have a manicure
22. have a pedicure
23. blog every other day
24. make some cushions
25. knit a pair of socks
26. take one photograph every day
27. get BMI below 40
28. save up and get a laptop
29. cook one new dish every 2 weeks
30. decorate sitting room
31. buy new sofa
32. decorate hall stairs and landing
33. gloss paint doors
34. take Ben and Lizzie to tea at the ritz
35. get gravel for round the pots at the side of the house
36. apply for promotion one last time
38. to tell someone once every day that they are doing a good job
39. to be open with people about how much they mean to me
40. give away any clothes which become too loose to wear
41. get a long looking glass so that I can see how I look before I go out
42. control the money and not let the money control me
43. go to the dentist
44. eat 5 a day every day
45. spend a day at a health spa
46. wash up dinner dishes every night
47. get a new web cam
48. invite friends round for dinner once a month
49. put £1 in a jar every day so that when this is over I will be £1,000 pounds better off
50. open a high interest savings account and put in the money from my £1’s ( I am informed that these will weight 17.5 lbs)
51. devote one evening a month to family tree stuff
52. visit 6 London Museums/art galleries
53. go on The London Eye ( and not die of fright)
54. send cards to people – just because ( at least once a month)
55. give one unbirthday present a month
56. Once a month bake cakes for the office
57. visit borough market
58. get a marker for Catherine’s grave
59. buy a new car
60. see a Shakespeare play at the Globe
61. Go to proms in the park
62. make bread once a week
63. clear the kitchen cupboards of things I don’t use
64. leave the office every day at lunch time even if I have a packed lunch
65. add 1 new thing a month to each section of the web site
66. place a bet in a betting shop
67. go to the Derby ( well I live close enough)
68. place an on course bet
69. go to the dogs!
70. Share a Jacuzzi with a friend
71. take a cookery course
72. resign from the Mormon church
73. clean the car once a month
74. go to a classical music concert
75. share a jacuzzi with a friend
76. plan menus a week ahead
77. stop biting my nails and cease to be a recidivist on this matter. - keep them unbitten
and 24 more